What To Expect When You Play Your First Escape Room
Escape rooms are growing in popularity, with new ones popping up all the time. It can be hard to know what to expect when you play your first one, but some tips are there to help you have a great time. Here's a quick rundown of the typical experience of playing one of these well-liked puzzles.
The Definition of an Escape Room
Escape rooms are a new and rapidly growing gaming experience that takes players on a thrilling adventure in a confined space. Players must use their cognitive and puzzle-solving skills to solve challenges and escape from the room before time runs out.
5 Things to Know for Your First Escape Room Experience
You might wonder what to expect if this is your first time playing one. Here's the answer!
- A time limit. Most rooms have a 60-minute maximum escape hour, though some can go up to 90 minutes if needed. So check the clock periodically to see how much time you have left.
- Various puzzles and clues will lead you closer to escaping the room. Weird statements written on pieces of paper or an elaborate puzzle box with dozens of components inside it can be anything. (Be careful when opening these boxes, by the way! Sometimes there are surprises inside.)
- One or more "trap doors," which you'll have to avoid while playing. They're usually pretty obvious, but they might not look like trap doors at first glance, so be careful!
- The time remaining will usually reset when you solve a puzzle or complete a task that moves you closer to escape. "Game over" happens when you run out of time or the puzzles become too challenging to escape.
- An elaborate story that ties everything together. Pay attention to the details when they tell you a story, whether real or fiction!
You'll have a great time if you try escape games! So why wait - give them a shot!